Translate

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Pre-Court of Master Sommeliers Advanced Exam Freaking Out Time

Just for shits and giggles...
(expect the plot to thicken)


and in turn I will keep you posted on how I fare with this next exam...mwahahahahahahaha....

  I've posted one whole other article besides this one, PATHETIC!!!
It has a little to do with my effort to study for the Court of Master Sommeliers Advanced level exam, taking place April 23-27 at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim. BLAH. What I should have done was start studying 3 years ago...I didn't really know I was taking it. I think I mentioned something to my wine director at work, and a few days later he said he had contacted someone (obviously someone in power), and that I would be approved to sit for the exam. yay? I passed Level 1 in October 2010, Certified in Feb 2011, and I really really don't know if I will pass Advanced...

  As far as blind tasting goes, I've probably got an edge on most because we blind taste every shift at work, and we practice the deductive tasting method with every wine, so it's almost been drilled into my DNA. Of course, when the time comes and my 3 reds, and 3 whites are set in front of me, I will probably call Nebbiolo, a Pinot Grigio. I've only been waiting tables for over a decade, but decanting wine with a cradle and a candle??? We'll see how well that blows over...Theory is what worries me the most. It's hard to memorize aging requirements, percentages, and regions. It would probably help if I'd been to Mittelbergheim or Klein Karoo...remembering all the Chateaus would probably be a little more pleasant if I had maybe done wine inventory at least once in my life? 
  I am held captive for the next 21 days by a shitload of books and printed out study materials, Guild of Sommeliers podcasts, flashcards, 2 laptops, and a myriad of junkfood...oh, and by the way, I don't even drink alcohol anymore, which makes blind tasting even more amusing. Even though I spit, the minimal alcohol that somehow does make it into my system makes me feel a wee giggly.
  Ack. Gotta get back to studying...
  

No comments:

Post a Comment